Here’s your latest in the local food scene:
- Philz Coffee, who opened their first Long Beach location in Belmont Shore in 2018, will be opening up a location in Bixby Knolls at 3850 Atlantic Ave. on Mar. 22, according to Blair Cohn of the Bixby Knolls Business Improvement Association. Taking over the former Andyliz space, the quick build-out will bring the neighborhood a taste of the popular Bay Area-based chain.
- Bungalow Kitchen, the first Long Beach restaurant from Chef Michael Mina and Brent Bolthouse, will serve its last formal dinner service on Mar. 12 before converting into the Bungalow Lounge, Bolthouse’s chain of more cocktail- and atmosphere-focused spaces across SoCal. The move returns to Bolthouse’s original concept, where Bungalow was intended to be a lounge space over a restaurant; that focused shifted during the pandemic, when bars were maligned more than restaurants. For my full feature on the conversion from kitchen to lounge for Eater LA, click here.
- Let’s Yolk About It, the much-loved breakfast and brunch space in Belmont Shore from women owners Melissa Almeraz and Rebecca Hinderer, has dropped its new menu, where it has expanded its lunch offerings while also including new items in its all-day breakfast offerings.
- Holé Molé on Obispo Avenue just north of 4th Street has become the latest burglary victim, suffering a break-in over this past weekend. It joins over 20 other businesses, mostly restaurants, which have seen late-night burglaries or burglary attempts. For more information about the break-ins, click here.
- Appu’s Cafe and BMORE Protein Pub were named in Yelp!’s Top 100 Restaurants list, with both scoring spots in the Top 25—#12 and #23, respectively. The top spot? That honor went to Los Angeles’s much-loved musubi joint Broken Mouth. To read more about it, click here.