Here’s what’s going on in the Long Beach food scene:
- Hungry Angelina, the vegan-centric eatery that opened withon the massive 2nd + PCH retail complex by food entrepreneur Matthew Kenney, has permanently shuttered. After opening a 4,500-square-foot “flagship” space on the ground floor of the Etsy headquarters, Kenney first opened his location here in Long Beach while working out on making the Brooklyn-based Etsy space permanent. While the New York location remains temporarily closed, with no specific timeline to reopen, the Alamitos Bay location is no longer serving.
Photo by Christina Nigra Johnson.
- The insanely popular SoCal chain that is Breakfast Republic—with locations stretching from San Diego to West Hollywood—will be opening its first Long Beach location in Belmont Shore at the former Boubouffe location at 5313 E. 2nd St. The, as you guessed it, breakfast-centric space will join the locally-owned, westerly Let’s Yolk About It in a bid to create competition at the other end of Belmont Shore’s business stretch.
Photo by Brian Addison.
- El Patio Fine Tacos & Beer—not to be confused with the long-closed El Patio that once sat along Atlantic Avenue in Bixby Knolls—has officially opened in the former (also taco centric) Little Vice space. Cronies from the Long Beach Food Scene have called it everything from “traditional” to noting that the house-made agua frescas are worth exploring. Worth checking out? I would venture to say definitely.
- Speaking of breakfast: Bebe’s Diner, taking over the old Sizzler spot at 15 Del Amo Blvd., has officially opened. Little is known about the space other than, well, to expect a diner: Recent posts have shown huevos rancheros and other breakfast delights.
- The Beach House in Seal Beach officially opened Monday, Dec. 19, in Seal Beach. The brainchild of Brian Kyle and Rosie Ritchie, the space basically took what has been a concession stand perched on the tail end of the Seal Beach/Long Beach jetty since 1976, and converted it to a full-blown restaurant, with eventual hours running from 7AM to 10PM. (It’s current hours are limited day-to-day.)