With festivals and competitions back in full swing—like the Great American Beer Festival late last year, bringing medals home thanks to the talent of local breweries—the return of hardware coming back to the city continues.
Ambitious Ales, Long Beach Beer Lab, and Ten Mile Brewing Co. all earned medals at this year’s Brewers Cup of California.
Ten Mile was honored the most, scoring three honors including:
- 2nd Place in the German pale lager category for their Ausgewogen lager;
- 2nd Place in the European-style dark/Münchner dunkel category for their Swarthy Czechsman brew;
- 3rd Place in the American stout/black ale category for their Hooked on Onyx ale.
“It’s honestly just an honor following our gold medal at Great American Beer Fest,” Ten Mile co-owner Jesse Sundstrom said. “It was a day where our family needed some good news and that was certainly good news.”
Ambitious Ales’s honors included:
- 2nd Place in the Belgian-style fruit beer category for their Fleurs ale;
- 3rd Place in the coffee-flavored beer category for their Baktuns brew
Long Beach Beer Lab scored 3rd Place in the golden or blonde ale category for their LB Blonde ale.
“We are stoked to medal for our LB Blonde,” said Long Beach Beer Lab co-owner Levi Fried. “It’s a beer that is our number one seller and a beer Long Beach can be proud of. Blonde beer is one of the largest segments of craft beer and its amazing that Long Beach has some of the best blonde beers in the state.”
Beachwood did not enter the competition, with co-owner Julian Shrago feeling there was a conflict of interest since he is a board member for the organization which hosts the Cup.